Overheated brakes can cause severe
burns. Perform task only when brakes
have cooled. Failure to comply may result
in injury to personnel.
(1) Jack up side with overheated or non-releasing
brakes, and support with trestle stands.
(2) Turn adjusting bolt clockwise with adjusting
(3) If bolt will not turn or if brake shoes do not
move away from wheel when adjuster is
turned, adjust brakes (para 11-2).
(1) Remove wheel(s) with affected brakes and
disassemble brake components (para 11-2).
(2) Inspect return springs for stretching, bluing,
damage, or breakage.
(3) If spring(s) is damaged, replace spring(s)
(4) Check adjusting pawl spring for damage.
(5) Ensure adjusting pawl spring is not missing
(6) Check adjusting pawl teeth for damage and
(7) Ensure seal elements are not damaged or
Ensure seal is free from damage. Failure
to comply may result in dirt entering
plunger chamber and interfering with
(8) Check actuator teeth for damage.
(9) Check plunger for freedom of movement
inside plunger housing.