TRANSMISSION OIL INSPECTION
Do not drain transmission oil when
transmission is hot. Failure to comply may
cause severe injury to personnel.
Transmission oil must be changed
whenever there is evidence of oil
breakdown or contamination. Oil
breakdown or contamination may be
caused from overheating transmission
and/or oil cooler internal failure and is
indicated by discoloration, strong odor, or
Transmission fluid capacity is 42.3 qt (40 L).
(1) Start engine (TM 9-2320-366-10-1).
(2) Allow oil to circulate for a few minutes.
(3) Place drain pan under transmission AOAP
(4) Remove drain plug from transmission AOAP
valve and press plunger to extract oil from
(5) Allow approximately 1 qt (0.9 L) of oil to drain
into drain pan. Release plunger.
(6) Install drain plug on transmission AOAP valve.
(7) Inspect oil for coolant contamination.
(8) If oil is contaminated, replace transmission oil
cooler (para 8-10).
(9) Shut down engine (TM 9-2320-366-10-1).
(10) Fill transmission (Appendix H).